Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Kathryn Erskine

Kathryn Erskine is the acclaimed author of many distinguished novels for young readers, including Mockingbird, winner of the National Book Award; The Absolute Value of Mike, an Amazon Best Book and ALA Notable Book; and Quaking, an ALA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers.

Erskine's new novel is The Badger Knight.

Last month I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
Since I was a kid I've read multiple books at a time. Here's what's on my bedside table or by my reading chair:

New News Out of Africa, Charlayne Hunter-Gault

I love this author and respect her successful career as a journalist. Since she has actually lived in Africa for almost 20 years, she's able to relate the changes there from the inside out. Being American, she can put it in terms that we can understand. Having lived in South Africa as a kid, I'm always curious about the social changes there, and a large part of the book focuses on South Africa. The book is, admittedly, several years old, and I'd love to see an updated version.

Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery, Don Richard Riso

It's always fun to pull out this book and see how much (or little) I've really changed. It's also great for a writer to get ideas or better understand our characters. It's fascinating to see the characters on your page, or in your life, so well described.

Connecting with the Cosmos, Donald Goldsmith

For stargazers. Did you know you could tell time, not just direction, from the Big Dipper? This book is part research but as I'm still exploring this project I can't really give any more information.

The Martian, Andy Weir

My husband doesn't usually read fiction (except mine!) so when he recommended this, I knew I had to read it. I've just started but I'm enjoying the engaging voice and fascinating subject matter.

Elegy for Eddie, Jacqueline Winspear

This is one of the Maisie Dobbs mysteries and I'm loving them because they're period (1930's) British mysteries with a strong female investigator protagonist. They're well researched and fun to read. And it doesn't hurt that my maiden name was Dobbs.

The Lightning Dreamer, Margarita Engle

To be honest, I've read this many times. I'm soaking in the style of this and other novels in verse in an effort to write my own. All of Margarita Engle's books are fabulous -- beautiful, spare, poignant, clear, strong... well, you just have to read one to see what I mean!
Visit Kathryn Erskine's website.

Check out Erskine's top 10 first person narratives.

Coffee with a Canine: Kathryn Erskine & Fletcher.

The Page 69 Test: The Badger Knight.

--Marshal Zeringue